Athens. The city that gave birth to democracy, the sciences and fine arts is ready to reveal its secrets. Athens: the city of history and ancient civilisation – the Parthenon, Acropolis and the Ancient Agora. At the same time a modern, vibrant megalopolis, full of energy, day and night. A city belonging to humanity and Mediterranean light. This mighty city has contributed to world history and culture time and again, making itself immortal; an actor beyond the constraints of time’s usual boundaries.
Through its charisma, it is reborn again and again. Athens shares these priceless life lessons with its visitors. Under the bright Aegean sun and the blue Attica sky. Amid the graffiti that adorns its walls, and the laughter that fills its cafes. A youthful city, buzzing with life, it is confident, free and charming. A city that never sleeps. Full of flavour, desire and pleasure. A city that you must visit at least once in your lifetime.
Welcome to Athens.
The Most Popular Cultural Attractions in Athens
1. The Parthenon: The most comprehensive architectural creation of Athenian democracy, built during a golden age of prosperity for the city.
2. Propylaea: A monumental gateway to the Acropolis built of white Pentelic marble.
3. Erechtheion: A building complex from 420 BC, made of Pentelic marble, a unique example of the Ionic order.
4. Temple of Athena Nike: A masterpiece of the Classical era, built by Kallikrates in the Ionic order, with a four-column structure.
5. New Acropolis Museum: Stunning exhibits and architecture; the complete modern museum.
6. National History Museum: Permanent exhibition on the history of modern Greece.
7. Museum of Cycladic Art: Superb exhibits from the ancient Aegean civilisations, with an emphasis on the Cycladic period.
8. National Archaeological Museum: The biggest in Greece and one of the most important in the world.
9. National Gallery: Contains more than 15,000 works.